International freight transport plays a fundamental role in the international trade environment.
According to the World Trade Statistical Review 2018 report, carried out by the World Trade Organization (WTO), international merchandise trade increased its volume by about 5% in 2017, registering the most growth remarkable in recent years. In this context, the Asian continent experienced the highest growth (8.1%).
The ranking of merchant countries worldwide is led by China, followed by the United States and Germany, according to the data detailed in the aforementioned report. These three countries added $5.3 billion in exports.
This brief introduction in the field of international merchandise trade helps us to start talking in more detail about international freight transport, a key piece that, if planned correctly, will allow agents from countries of origin and destination to simplify the process, save on costs and be more efficient, among other factors.
What types of international freight transport exist?
Although in this other article we already talk about the means of transport and the goods to choose from one or the other depending on the needs that are available, when we talk about international trade, it is normal to combine several means of transport so that the merchandise arrives as soon as possible and in perfect condition.
We talk about multimodal transport, which consists of the combination of two or more means of transport, to try to reduce costs and reduce travel time. However, land transport – rail and road – is also an efficient way to transport goods internationally but, of course, will depend on what you want to move and how much distance.
What phases cross a merchandise in international transport?
From the moment the merchandise leaves the origin until it reaches the final destination the international freight transport consists of several phases:
- Preparation of the shipment and protection of the merchandise: the first thing to do in this regard is to prepare the merchandise to be sent with the packaging according to the type of product, to avoid any type of damage during the entire transport chain. Likewise, it will be necessary for the company to have insurance to be protected against any incident or damage that the merchandise could suffer.
- Route 1 (internal): Normally, this first section will be carried out by road transport, in order to reach the point where the goods will be loaded at a port or airport and depart for their destination. In this phase, after all the necessary procedures have been carried out by the issuer, it will be necessary for the merchandise to pass through customs control so that the shipment is authorised.
- Route 2 – International (external) transport: Once the shipment of the merchandise at the customs office of origin is approved, it will depart to the country of destination. This country is then in charge of the selected transport company which may be the same one that is responsible for completing the logistics chain.
- Arrival at destination and through customs: when the merchandise arrives at its destination, it must go through customs control again, in which its documentation will be reviewed and the merchandise, possibly, verified. If this merchandise does not comply with the regulations of the country of destination, it will be retained at customs.
- Route 3 (internal): The merchandise leaves the port or airport and is transported usually by road to the final destination point.
- Receipt of merchandise at destination: the merchandise arrives and is finally delivered to its destination. In this case if the entire logistics chain has worked correctly, the merchandise will have reached the final point in time and under the same conditions in which it was dispatched.
In addition to all of the above, in the international transport of goods we must take into account tariffs and other taxes, permits, documentation, controls etc. As well as taking special care with the supplier or suppliers that we choose to carry out the entire operation.
In Hyland Shipping we are specialists in freight transport since 1983, mainly between Spain-Ireland-United Kingdom and other European countries. We offer national and international transport solutions for large goods, consumer goods, beverages, fragile products and much more.
If you need a reliable logistics service, get in touch with us and we will guide you.